Note: Please check Facebook for current route information.
Well, it’s that time of season again! Since Santa and his elves will be getting started this evening, I wanted to take a moment to provide some basic information that should answer the questions we get the most.
1. Santa’s elves first commitment is responding to emergency calls, so at any time the plans for that evening can be altered or cancelled without notice and the map for that day may or may not be made up. These elves will respond to over 12,000 calls by the end of the year or a call approximately every 42 minutes on average.
2. We rotate the areas of our district every year. It could take as long as five years to get back around to your neighborhood. We do keep track of this to try and be fair and equal in hitting as much of our fire district as possible on a consistent basis.
3. We don’t always get started on time, know exactly where we will start, or know exactly where we will stop on any given night. We may not hit every street in a mapped area due to time. Additionally, if you live on a cul-de-sac or dead end, we try to avoid those due to difficulty turning the apparatus around as well as the sleigh.
4. If we don’t make it down your street, there is always a designated stop at the end of the night that you can meet up with Santa and his elves.
5. Poor weather can cancel Santa’s appearance.
6. On most days, the elves don’t know exactly what route will be used up until the point that they post it. If you ask early in the day where crews will be, they probably will not be able to give you an answer until later when the map is posted.
7. Please be very careful with your children when running out to see Santa, other vehicles and the escort vehicles can’t always hear or see you.
8. Santa tries to avoid stopping on main thoroughfares and roads as to not cause major traffic problems. Also, please do not follow the sleigh too close if you come upon Santa on the roads.
9. Finally, the elves really enjoy this time of year and being able to offer the escort for Santa. Keep in mind that things don’t always work out the way we expect, please be patient and keep the comments positive. We look forward to seeing you somewhere out there with Santa.
Thanks and we appreciate your support!
Chief Elf Jason Hoevelmann