To reach the Fire Marshall’s office directly, please call (314) 837-8790. Our office is open 8:00AM – 4:00PM Monday thru Thursday and 8:00AM – 3:00PM on Friday.
Following is general information for the convenience of the builders, architects, homeowners and other interested parties that are doing work in this Florissant Valley Fire Protection District.
Please note: The fire district has adopted the International Building and Fire Codes 2021 edition with some additions and deletions, effective 1-1-2019.
The Florissant Valley Fire Protection District is its own political subdivision. Even though you may have applied for permits from the City of Florissant, the City of Hazelwood, or Saint Louis County, you will still need to apply for a permit(s) with the Florissant Valley Fire Protection District. The fire district has its own permit application form, a separate plan review process, permit fee schedule and inspections for fire prevention and life safety items.
The following items are needed to process your permit:
- A plot plan showing how the building will lay according to streets and neighboring properties. This drawing shall be scaled or shall have dimensions noted.
- One complete set of building plans and specifications.
- All commercial buildings shall have plans signed and sealed by a professional designer.
- A permit application must be filled out.
After these items are submitted to the fire district, a plan review letter will be mailed/emailed to you letting you know that your permit is ready to be picked up and paid for.
View the Permit Fee Schedule here.
- A 24 hour notice will be needed for all inspections.
- A framing and ceiling inspection is required before the installation of drywall. All subcontractors work shall be done before the inspection is made. Subcontractors include Mechanical, Electrical, and Plumbing.
- A final inspection is required when the building is completed before any furniture, equipment or stock is moved in.
- Re-Inspections – Multiple inspections of the framing, ceiling, or final may be required if the work fails. Additional fees will be required. These fees may be ½ the amount of the original permit fee for each inspection. These fees shall be paid before another inspection will be performed.
Congratulations on your new business. On behalf of the Florissant Valley Fire Protection District, the Fire Prevention Bureau requires a Fire/Life Safety inspection for all new businesses. Upon completion of the application and payment the district will schedule an occupancy inspection. This inspection will determine if the building space complies with the ordinances of the fire district. The premises shall not be occupied until all infractions are corrected and a Certificate of Occupancy is issued by the Florissant valley Fire Protection District and/or the City of Florissant, City of Hazelwood, Village of Calverton Park, or Saint Louis County.